Earlier today, BMW launched its new BMW i brand with two new concepts including the BMW i3 and the BMW i8. The fully electric BMW i3 will hit markets in 2013, while the plug-in hybrid BMW i8 sports car will arrive in dealerships in 2014.
>Interesting BMW i8 Facts:
- Gets modified motor from BMW i3 at the front axle. A 1.5 liter 3-cylinder gasoline engine making 220-hp and 221 lb-ft of torque moves the rear axle; total output of 349-hp and 405 lb-ft of torque.
- Mated to a twin-speed transmission, 0 to 62 mph comes in less than 5 seconds with a top speed of 155 mph.
- Full charge of its lithium-ion battery provides all-electric driving range of approximately 20 miles. Rumored total range of 400 miles.
- 2+2-seats offers space for four people.
- Two drive systems allows all four wheels to be driven at the same time, similar to an all-wheel-drive vehicle. This combines advantages of front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
- Interior has a Porcelain White support structure, black technical level and a section with Mocha Brown leather.
- 8.8-inch freestanding information display in the dash is joined by an equally large display taking the role of the instrument cluster for the driver.